Monday, November 12, 2012

GBS??

Ok. I thought I was pretty much done with pregnancy stuff and that I was in the home stretch with nothing to worry about. Then I went to my 37 week midwife visit and heard the results from my GBS test. I'm positive! I have group B strep.

Not having expected this, I didn't really know what it meant. It means that I have to have antibiotics pumped into me during labor. I'm so disappointed. It was a shot to my pride, first of all. I thought I was having this great healthy pregnancy. Apparently this is a totally random thing and couldn't be prevented. I don't like hearing that though, I'm always like, "it must have been something. What could I have done differently to avoid this? Random? Pshh."

So, before, I was going to deny even having a port placed for a possible IV or drugs, because I didn't want anything, and if I really really needed something, they can always take 30 seconds to place an IV. Now, that's not an option because a bacteria in my GI tract could be fatal to my baby. A bacteria that isnt a danger to me and is random and normal and blah blah. :(.

So now, it makes me have this irrationally unhealthy view of my body as this enemy zone and not a beautiful place that can healthily deliver my baby without medical intervention. It's now a negative space that needs to be addressed and is on the attack and can harm my baby. That doesn't feel good.

Antibiotics bother me in general and I don't like having to take them unless it's absolutely necessary. Apparently, this is one of those situations. If I don't take them, my baby could get really sick and even get meningitis. Ah! I'm allergic to penicillin, which is normally what they use to treat this during labor. She said I'll be on Clindamycin. Instead. I've taken that before 3-4 years ago when I went to a string of different gynocologists because I thought I had a bacterial infection because I was being obsessive about discharge. (sorry, that's kinda gross). After seeing a few different people and being prescribed Clindamycin, Cipro, and I don't remember what else, and Nothing was changing, I saw the nurse practitioner on campus. She told me I had never had anything wrong and that I was just healthy, young, and fertile. I can't remember whether I finished any of those antibiotics. I've also taken one of those for a UTI within the past year or 2. I just hope my body is not resistant to them, if I didn't finish the per scribed course or anything. I read that GBS can be resistant to Clindamycin sometimes, so that doesn't leave me satisfied.

I know I'm being overkill with all of this. It's really put a bump in my plans. I know that is ok. I just have so many questions now and I wish I wasn't freaking out a little.

If my water breaks, and I don't go into labor, I will have to be induced, because the strep can reach the baby without the protective amniotic fluid. So then it's antibiotics AND pitocin and then who knows what else...

I had this last midwife visit right before work, so when I got there, I felt like I had drunk 3 cups of coffee and was so jittery and up tight about it. I took a lavender pill to chill out and it helped me be normal again. Then, I started to research in some of the books written by midwives I trust. Nothing told me how to cure it so that I could avoid antibiotics. I found several elixirs and things to try to strengthen my immune system. But nothing will fix it.

Apparently, the bacteria can colonize, so even if I got retested and it was negative, the little buggers could show up again. So putting cloves of garlic or goldenseal pills into my vagina won't help a bacteria that's in my GI tract. I'm taking tinctures of Astragalus, Echinacea, and Burdock root and then 500mg of food based, raw Vitamin C along with my regular multi and Red Raspberry leaf. My bed side looks like an apothecary's table. But none of these things will allow me to avoid antibiotics. :(. I'm disappointed.

Prayer, please?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe Phil 4:6-7 should be on your bedside. I especially like the part "Beyond all comprehension" and "surpasses all understanding". Couple that with Romans- "all things work together" and Psalms "My ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts are higher than your thoughts". Take any 2 or more of those in the am. You can't OD on those or hurt our baby! Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poo, i feel for you, the change in plans sounds really disappointing >:( but it doesn't mean your body is a negative and harmful place! it's still a lovely, healthy, safe and cozy environment for your healthy little girl! Guess that always seems to be the way things go: you can plan everything out to the Nth degree but life never turns out as you think it will! That helps to remind us that God is always in control! I have been praying for you and I will continue to pray for a safe and healthy delivery! At the end of it all that's what counts anyway! A healthy babe :) <3

    ReplyDelete